Saturday, January 18, 2014

Reflections on the Food Stamp challenge

It has been an eye opening experience in many ways which started even before the challenge week began.  First of all, it was been rewarding working with Rev. Melanie and Rabbi Maurice.  The next insight came in talking with my wife, Gay, about which foods to buy and in what amounts.  That exercise brought the week into much clearer focus.
The next piece was the group which met at WinCo last Sunday.  It was fun to go through the shopping lists and the store comparing and suggesting different purchases and what bargains we found.
Next, the conversations we have had with during this week with those doing the challenge and those outside it have been varied and interesting.  A number have asked, "Are you hungry?"  No one has asked me that before.
A few insights which have come to me are: The things which went away- chocolate, snacks, organic fruits and vegetables, and variety. In this, I discovered that I often like to have a handful of almonds or peanuts about 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon.  I have felt their absence this week.  The things which came my way are: thinking more about food than I usually do, a greater openness to what many people go through on a regular and continuing basis, and that it continues to be important to advocate for and with others in working against food insecurity.
It has been a learning week for me and I am glad for the company of others through it.
Tom Dodd

4 comments:

  1. Well..just found out that we have now been cut to 179 a month for two people who live on 1070 a month....My husband suffers from Anorexia..this will not be good for us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. It shows the need to work to restore SNAP funding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started out last year at 311 a month which I found more than able to sustain us on. Bread outlet, markdown meats and Winco..then to 211...which has proved difficult by the last week of the month. The food pantry has helped supplement. But now to be at 179 for next month has me wondering what I can do...my husband has been turned down for SS,,,and we only have my 1070 to pay rent etc...I am not some moocher looking for a handout. I was a professional for 30 years and got hurt on the job. Life has a funny way of changing. My husband suffers from anorexia and a few other issues...He is underweight and try very hard to feed him nourishing meals. One of the best things are the "meals" that FFLC puts together..especially the lentil mix. But again..one still needs soaps, toilet paper, shampoos..Thanks for trying to fix a system that is broken. I pray that we will be okay....Lets get congress to do what you are doing!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. I pray that you will be able to find the resources you need. And, I agree, let's work together to get Congress to do the right thing for SNAP funding.

    ReplyDelete