Thursday, January 16, 2014

Kiran Oommen chimes in on Food Stamp challenge

In response to his mom, Rev. Melanie Oommen's piece, her son, Kiran writes:



Thank you mum,
I as well must make it clear that I am not AT ALL a picky eater, Personally
I believe that being picky about what you eat is entirely a middle-class
privilege and a rather insensitive way to live.
Ever bit of food we get is a gift that so many people sorely miss, and this
week especially I hope will make that aspect all the more real to us.
I choose to eat HEALTHY (avoiding school lunch) because it is better for our
environment in so many ways, as well as my own health.
That is very different from only eating what you like the taste of, which is
what I understand the term "picky eater" to imply.

Also, I was not in the least bit "nervous" about undertaking this (only
slight) challenge.
So many people live on stamps for so long, one week certainly can't kill me.
And anyway, I was fully on board as soon as I heard of the idea, as I
appreciate the implications of this act of solidarity.
There's my rant.  I can't stand being misrepresented, especially in a way
that is directly contrary to my own personal principles.

Good luck to all of you food stampers for the week!

- Kiran Oommen

No comments:

Post a Comment